Wednesday, July 27, 2011

My First Word Cloud

This is my first word cloud using 'wordle.com'


I have had trouble uploading and getting a larger image size of my wordle, when I copy and paste the wordle embed code it is highlighted purple and I cannot write on my blog without there being a large area highlighted. I have found a way to get past the highlighting of my writing and image but to make my wordle a larger size I am puzzled as to how I can do this.

Other than the troubles I'm currently having, wordle is a smart and very fun tool to use. Wordle is a web based program that creates 'word clouds' such as my very own above. Copy and paste any text, into the wordle form and it will show you your own word cloud. I have used the text I have written so far in my spelling journal for Competence In English. Using wordle is an effective teaching and learning tool that can be used for many different types of texts. The word cloud shows the words that are used the most in a bigger font, this can help to show the writer overuse of a specific word and it can also show the topic of the text by the words in the word cloud.
Word clouds could be used in the classroom to show how many of the same words are used in a text or to collaborate with creative thinking and be used for activities to improve spelling or learning meanings of new words.
I strongly feel wordle is a great site for learning development through these word clouds, they will be used again in my blog and in the future as a primary school teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment